RECREATIONAL HOCKEY CALGARY
Sponsored by ATB Financial
Notice of RHC Annual General Meeting
Rec Hockey Calgary will be holding our Annual General Meeting on Thursday, April 23, 2015. The details of the meeting are as follows:
- · Date: Thursday, April 23, 2015
- · Time: 6:30pm
- · Location: Flames Community Arenas (2390 – 47 Ave SW) – Stew Fairbanks Meeting Room
For the upcoming season, we are looking for volunteers to join our Board in the following capacities:
- · Vice President (with the interest in progressing to President)
- · Treasurer
- · Equipment Coordinator
- · PIC Coordinator (Police Information Check)
- · Junior Coordinator (1)
- · Midget Coordinator (1)
- · Bantam Coordinator (1)
- · Peewee Coordinators (2)
- · Peewee Development Lead – this is a new position; the responsibilities for this position center around the coordination and execution of the Peewee Development sessions held in the first half of the season. A terms of reference will be circulated in advance of the AGM.
- Web Administrator
Terms for each position can be found in the RHC Policies and Procedures Manual located on our website.
Thank you for your support and look forward to seeing you at the AGM.
Earlier this season, we announced new awards to acknowledge teams, coaches and players for showing and embracing the Rec Hockey philosophy of sportsmanship and fair play. I am very pleased to announce the results of the Team Sportsmanship Award and the ATB Financial Individual Sportsmanship Awards:
Team Sportsmanship Award
The criteria for this award was for the team to average two or less penalties per game up to the end of the regular season. The recipients of the award will receive a $200 gift certificate from Boston Pizza to be used for a team party with our appreciation. I’m very pleased to announce that the following teams (head coaches listed) will be receiving the Team Sportsmanship Award:
- RHC Peewee Sharks - Peter Major
- RHC Peewee Avalanche - John Sheardon
- RHC Peewee Senators - Dave Reaves/Brad Romph
- RHC Peewee Flyers - Scott Bergmann
- RHC Peewee Penguins - Clint Fitzgerald
- RHC Peewee Sabres - Doug Vass
- RHC Bantam Ducks - Ray Zurawell
- RHC Bantam Wolverines - Jamie Leitch
- RHC Bantam Flyers - Patrick Meckelborg
- RHC Bantam Sabres - Matt Hudson
- RHC Bantam Capitals - Don McAuley
- RHC Bantam Battalion - Mike Korman
- RHC Bantam Kings - Dean McIntosh
- RHC Bantam Bruins - Brian Magdee
- RHC Bantam Rangers - Wayne Yan
- RHC Bantam Whalers - Tim Schultz
- RHC Bantam Penguins - Phil Nottveit
- RHC Bantam Stars - Perry Sikstrom
- RHC Bantam Avalanche - Cameron Overacker
- RHC Midget Battalion - David Oke
- RHC Midget Lightning - Ed Koshka
- RHC Midget Penguins - Brent Jones
- RHC Midget Stars - Jan Kruis
- RHC Midget Wolverines - Mike Korman
- RHC Midget Capitals - Calvin Chan
- RHC Junior Flyers – Kevin O’brien
Congratulations and well deserved!
ATB Individual Sportsmanship Award
Along with the team award, RHC announced an individual sportsmanship award to be presented to all players who finished the regular season with zero penalties. ATB Financial has sponsored this award and has provided an extremely generous set of prizes to the recipients. This year, we will be awarding over 150 players with the ATB Financial Individual Sportsmanship Award which will be handed out during the Year End Tournament. Specifically there are 52 Peewee, 53 Bantam, 48 Midget and 33 Junior players who will receive this award. The names are too numerous to list here, but the RHC board wants to thanks these individuals for their accomplishment.
In the spirit of these awards, I want to thank the players, coaches and parents for a great season and wish them well for the ATB Year End Tournament. With respect to the YET, please be mindful of the sportsmanship and conduct that is an integral part of Rec Hockey. Despite a very good season, we have had a few serious incidents including parents’ conduct towards opposing players, verbal insults directed towards female players and altercations in the post-game handshake. Let’s enjoy the remainder of the season and work together to ensure a fun Year End Tournament for all.
Attention ALL RHC players: as we approach the conclusion of this successful season, a friendly reminder that your team jersey needs to be returned to your coach at the completion of the final game of the YET (March 8 for Pee Wee and March 15 for everyone else). If you plan to be absent from this final game, kindly launder, dry, fold, and return your jersey to your coach on or before this date. Spare Goalies: please return your jerseys to the coach of YOUR final game. Your co-operation is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Coaches: please see important information and instructions regarding Equipment Return under the EQUIPMENT tab. Thank you.
Esso Minor Hockey Week
The annual Esso Minor Hockey Week has concluded on January 17, 2015. The world's largest minor hockey tournament has produced the following championship teams this year in Recreational Hockey Calgary:
Pee Wee - Avalanche
Bantam A - Ducks | Bantam B - Rangers
Midget A - Blues | Midget B - Flyers
Junior A - Senators | Junior B - Sabres
Congratulations to every single player on every team. Your dedication, effort, and sportsmanship keep the passion alive for this great game of ours. You are all champions for participating!
Thank you, to all coaches, officials, and the countless volunteers who helped to make the games safe and fun for the kids. You are the reason for the event's success, year after year.
Have a great rest of the season everyone.
The RHC Board of Directors
The First Shift - Helping Kids Fall In Love With Hockey
Hockey Calgary has launched a new program, The First Shift Sponsored By Bauer, for boys and girls aged 6 - 10 who have never participated in organized hockey before. Please see details by visiting Hockey Calgary or The First Shift.
2014 Annual General Meeting - April 16, 2014
As the 2013-14 season draws to a close, we wish to thank the players, parents, coaches and volunteers for making this season fun and successful. Rec Hockey Calgary is a vibrant and growing part of the minor hockey program in Calgary, offering a great alternative to community hockey. As with any organization, Rec Hockey Calgary is dependant on a number of dedicated volunteers who sit on the RHC Board of Directors and support the organization by fulfilling a board position.
For 2014-15, we want to welcome Mike Speta and Mark Leduc as new Midget Coordinators, James Mills as a Junior Coordinator, Calvin Chan as the Webmaster, and Sandra Hanna as our new Secretary.
We want to sincerely thank Jeff Deere and David Knudson who have finished their terms and will be leaving the RHC board. Your efforts and enthusiasm will be greatly missed
Created by: WEBMASTER -- Last updated:Apr 14, 2015